Published December 2017
Paperback available from December 2019
Now in its eighth edition, this classic text is a first point of reference for anyone looking to obtain an understanding of chartering and shipbroking practice. It provides hands-on, commercially-focused explanations of chartering business and invaluable advice on how the shipping market operates across a broad range of topics. The authors also deal expertly with the legal, financial, operational and managerial aspects of chartering, offering numerous case studies which clearly link theory to practice.
This new edition has been fully revised and updated to reflect the current trends in chartering practice, legal developments and standard forms of charterparties. New to this edition:
- Enriched with practical examples covering crucial aspects of chartering and shipbroking business, such as voyage estimations, freight conversions and tanker calculations.
- New material on day-to-day laytime principles, including "Laytime Definitions for Charterparties 2013", associated commentary and relevant examples.
- Shipping Marketing as a modern tool of improving chartering and shipbroking business.
- Expanded coverage of the economic background of chartering, including markets, vessels, cargoes, trades and fixtures.
- Freight rates for all vessel types from 1980 to 2015.
- Updated review of well-known standard charterparty documents (including NYPE 2015), together with clauses and wordings commonly applying to various charter types.
- Analytical glossary containing typical terms and abbreviations used in chartering negotiations.
This book is an essential guide for practitioners in private practice and in-house for shipowners and cargo houses, as well as those studying shipbroking and chartering.
1. Charter Market 2. Charter Rates and State of the Freight Market 3. Chartering Information 4. Chartering Business and Ship Management 5. Chartering Policy and Marketing Strategy 6. Sales Contract, Carriage and Bill of Lading 7. Charter Forms 8. Chartering Routines 9. Basic Legal Knowledge on Charterparties 10. Common Clauses and Concepts 11. Voyage Charter 12. Time Charter 13. Bareboat Charter and Contract of Affreightment 14. Freight Calculations 15. Laytime Calculations