Table of Contents
Part One: Revision of Mathematics.
1. Revisionary mathematics.
Revision Test 1 Revisionary mathematics.
2. Further revisionary mathematics.
Revision Test 2 Further revisionary mathematics.
Part Two: Statics and Strength of Materials.
3. The effects of forces on materials.
4. Tensile testing.
5. Forces acting at a point.
6. Simply supported beams.
Revision Test 3 Forces, tensile testing and beams.
7. Forces in structures.
8. Bending moment and shear force diagrams.
9. First and second moments of area.
Revision Test 4 Forces in structures, bending moment and shear force diagrams, and second moments of area.
10. Bending of beams.
12. Twisting of shafts.
Revision Test 5 Bending of beams, torque and twisting of shafts.
13. An introduction to matrix algebra.
14. The matrix displacement method.
Part Three: Dynamics.
15. Linear and angular motion.
16. Linear momentum and impulse.
17. Force, mass and acceleration.
18. Work, energy and power.
Revision Test 6 Linear and angular motion, momentum and impulse, force, mass and acceleration, work, energy and power.
20. Motion in a circle.
21. Simple harmonic motion.
22. Simple machines.
Revision Test 7 Friction, motion in a circle, simple harmonic motion and simple machines.
Part Four: Heat Transfer and Fluid Mechanics.
22. Heat energy and transfer.
24. Thermal expansion.
Revision Test 8 Heat energy and transfer, and thermal expansion.
26. Fluid flow.
27. Ideal gas laws.
28. The measurement of temperature.
Revision Test 9 Hydrostatics, fluid flow, gas laws and temperature measurement.
A list of formulae for mechanical engineering principles.
Metric to Imperial conversions and vice versa.
Glossary of terms.
Answers to multiple-choice questions.