It establishes a survey standard for the regular and safe survey of the cargo and ballast areas of oil tankers and bulk carriers. The 2011 ESP Code became mandatory under SOLAS regulation XI-1/2. Parts A and B of annex A of the Code provide the requirements for bulk carriers with single-side skin and double-side skin construction, respectively. Parts A and B of annex B of the Code provide the requirements for oil tankers with double-hull and non-double-hull construction, respectively. In order to provide an easy-to-use Code, IMO’s Maritime Safety Committee agreed that the Code should be closely aligned with the IACS Unified Requirements (UR) Z10 (Hull surveys).
This edition contains all amendments to the Code since its adoption:
- Resolutions MSC.371(93), MSC.381(94), MSC.405(96), MSC.412(97) and MSC.461(101).
- The latest amendments in resolution MSC.461(101) enter into force on 1 January 2021.
It provides, in particular, special requirements for:
- renewal, annual and intermediate surveys
- preparation for surveys
- documentation on board
- procedures for thickness measurements
- acceptance criteria
- reporting and evaluation of surveys